The Education, Training and Welfare Rights Team offer a wide range of services to clients, including the following:
• Support in seeking employment
• Job Centre Plus advisor
• Literacy Support, ie reading/writing, English as a second language
• Mentoring support to clients moving into employment
The room is open for 3 one hour slots, 9.30-10.30am, 10.45-11.45am, 12.00-1.00pm, so that a greater number of clients can access the facilities.
About this Role
Volunteers work alongside the ETWR staff team by giving 1-2-1 help to clients who need individual support.
Tasks will include:
- Assisting individuals to create a CV or to develop their interview skills
- Supporting clients with online job searches
- Teaching clients basic computer skills, e.g. setting up an email account, attaching a CV, using the internet for employment purposes
- Giving new clients a ‘room induction’, i.e. explaining what services are available, rules for using the room and drawing up an action plan with them
- Taking digital photos, e.g. for bus passes
- Writing up daily record sheets detailing interactions with clients
- Reliability, good time keeping
- A proactive attitude to supporting vulnerable adults
- Excellent communication skills
- Good IT skills, especially internet, email and Word
- A positive attitude and empathy for our clients
- Ability to form professional and supportive working relationships with clients, colleagues within the organisation and external agencies. Volunteers must respect professional boundaries.
What you can expect:
- Volunteer induction into The Passage
- Instruction, guidance and support to carry out your role effectively
- Reasonable travel expenses reimbursed
- Free meals if volunteering during specified meal times
Standard: Application Form, Interview, 2 reference checks and criminal record check.
Role specific: We also ask volunteers to spend a day shadowing with the team before committing to their post. This is a two-way process in which the candidate can test their interest in the position and we can further assess their suitability to the role.
Please download an application form. Email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or post printed forms to St Vincent's Centre, Carlisle Place, London SW1P 1NL