Shift commitment: flexible, we're looking to build a pool of volunteers but ideally one shift per week
We are hoping to recruit a pool of volunteers and to use an online rota system where the individual; volunteer can book shifts.
The Community Intervention Team help new rough sleepers to move away from the streets as quickly as possible and persists with longer-term rough sleepers to help make the difficult transition from the street to support services.
The team goes out every day of the year, either late at night or early in the morning to engage rough sleepers in our services. Every individual is different and the time it takes for someone to move away from rough sleeping varies. It can take a long time for an individual to move away from the streets, particularly if they are experiencing substance misuse or mental health issues as we need to establish a relationship of trust. In addition that individual needs to be at a point where they can readily address their issues and engage with us. If someone is new to rough sleeping the process may be quicker.
The team works in tandem with other homeless support services including St Mungo’s, Turning Point, Connection St Martins, Westminster City Council, No Second Night Out and hostels in the area.
About this Role
We are looking for committed individuals with excellent communication skills to engage with rough sleepers and people who are homeless in and around Victoria.
Full training will be provided where you will learn all about our services as well as other homeless support services in Westminster and how to communicate effectively with rough sleepers.
Tasks will include:
- Supporting Outreach workers to engage with rough sleepers
- Engaging with members of the public to inform them about the Passage Resource Centre and wider Westminster homeless services
- Sign-posting rough sleepers to The Passage Resource Centre and the wider Westminster area for housing support.
- Ability to walk around outside for 2 hours - you will be on your feet for the duration of the shift - essential
- Confident speaker and willingness to engage with rough sleepers and those who are homeless
- Non judgemental
- Ability to learn and retain information accurately
- Ability to remain calm and professional when faced with potential antagonism
- A genuine desire for informing members of the public about the services and aims of The Passage and neighbouring organisations
- Ability to represent The Passage in a way that would not damage our reputation
- Ability to maintain and respect The Passage policies and procedures
- Willingness to commit to regular shifts
What you can expect:
- Full training provided initially in the Resource Centre then on the streets close by the Community Intervention Team
- Supervision from accompanying staff member during your shift
- Travel Expenses reimbursed according to our Finance Policy
How to apply:
Complete the application and Equality and Diversity monitoring forms and email an to email@example.com The role is subject to the provision of two references, an informal interview and attendance at a Volunteer Induction session. For questions about the role or the application process, please contact the Volunteering Team on 0207 592 1863
Please download an application form. Email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or post printed forms to St Vincent's Centre, Carlisle Place, London SW1P 1NL