We are looking for people who can volunteer between approx 10.30am – 4.00pm and we are in particular need on a Friday.
The Housing Solution Service was established in October 2017 under new legislation enacted by the Homeless Reduction Act 2017 which increased the responsibility of every local authority in England to support adults at risk in need of housing. It is part of Westminster Council’s Housing Options initiative to prevent people who are in housing crisis form becoming homeless.
In partnership with Shelter and Places for People, The Passage delivers this service for single people. The team works with individuals who are under threat of homelessness and require accommodation but are not considered a priority need by Westminster. We also provide support to enable individuals to maintain their tenancies.
The team looks to find private rented accommodation for these individuals and works closely with our Client Development Team who also have a worker who specialises in finding private rented accommodation for people who are currently in hostels.
About this Role
We are looking for volunteers who can support to volunteer in the office and be called up to support client moves. Supporting the teams tenancy sustainment work, you could be called on to spend a few hours attending a viewing with a client, or a whole day helping with a move, or performing some of the administrative tasks related to finding accommodation.
This role would be of particular interest to anyone looking to gain experience in the homelessness and housing sector.
Tasks will include:
- Accompanying staff member and clients on property viewings and using the viewing checklist to assess suitability of accommodation
- Accompanying staff member and clients on moving day
- Making up household item bundle and food parcels for clients
- Researching the local area for the client ( nearest supermarket, GP, mental health services)
- Alerting the team to any concerns with the property
- Aged 18 or over – essential
- Confident communicator
- An interest in housing and homelessness
- Ability to ask questions if you don't understand
- You’re confident in an environment which might present challenging behaviours
- You’re non-judgmental and can demonstrate empathy for our clients
- You’re committed, reliable and punctual
- You’re patient and able to motivate and engage others
- You’re able to maintain and respect The Passage policies and procedures
- Ability to work within professional boundaries
What you can expect:
- Supervision from the Rough Sleepers Team & support from the Volunteering Team
- Travel Expenses reimbursed according to our finance policy
- Volunteer induction into The Passage
Complete the Volunteer Application and Equality and Diversity monitoring forms and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The role is subject to the provision of two references, an informal interview and attendance at a Volunteer Induction session. For questions about the role or the application process, please contact the Volunteering Team on 0207 592 1863
Please download an application form. Email completed forms to email@example.com or post printed forms to St Vincent's Centre, Carlisle Place, London SW1P 1NL