Passage House is a rapid response Assessment Hub aimed to support new rough sleepers with no local connection to Westminster to find a suitable pathway for them to sustain a life off the streets. For a lot of people this will mean returning to their home area and reconnecting with family or support networks. Men, women, couples aged 18 or over are offered accommodation a maximum stay is 28 days whilst we work with them to provide a pathway.
Clients are referred into Passage House via Outreach teams. These are teams who work overnight on the streets of Westminster approaching new rough sleepers and engaging them in services. This means that guests at Passage House will be arriving in the evening and night time.
About this Role
We would love to have someone come in once or month to offer haircuts to residents. Most of our members are male but we have a few women as well who may just need a trim. We don't have any clippers or hair cutting scissors at present so you would need to use your own at first. We do have a cape.
Tasks will include:
- Providing haircuts and styling, including beards, however no need to shave
- Aged 18 or over – essential
- OWN HAIRCUTTING SCISSORS (we will get a pair, so this is important only for the initial period) – essential
- Own public liability insurance – essential, we will need to see a copy of this
- Ability to demonstrate an inclusive and non judgmental attitude
- Reliability and willingness to commit to regular shifts
- Confident communicator
- You’re proactive and have an ability to use initiative
- Patience and ability to engage with others
- Ability to uphold and respect The Passage policies and procedures
What you can expect:
- Travel Expenses reimbursed according to our finance policy
- Volunteer induction into The Passage
Complete the Volunteer Application and Equality and Diversity monitoring forms and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The role is subject to the provision of two references, an informal interview and attendance at a Volunteer Induction session. For questions about the role or the application process, please contact the Volunteering Team on 0207 592 1863
Please download an application form. Email completed forms to email@example.com or post printed forms to St Vincent's Centre, Carlisle Place, London SW1P 1NL
Download application form: