fbpx Volunteering FAQ’s – The Passage

Volunteering FAQ’s

Please read our helpful list of FAQ’s below.

If you still have questions or need further support, please do not hesitate to get in touch via email or phone at 020 7592 1885 (phone line open from 10am – 4.30pm on weekdays).

For Corporate Volunteering enquiries please contact us via email.

How old do I need to be to volunteer? 

You must be aged 18 or over to volunteer at The Passage.  

Do I have to commit to regular shifts? 

Yes, the regularity depends on which role you are volunteering in.  

Can I volunteer as a team, with my colleagues?

We have a variety of meaningful opportunities that enable our corporate volunteers to contribute to ending homelessness. When working with corporate partners we are keen to ensure that what we deliver adds value for our clients and staff whilst also providing our volunteers with a better understanding of homelessness.

Please get in touch, to discuss what might work for you and your team.

What training will I receive? 

All volunteers need to attend a Volunteer Induction which covers why people become homeless, our policies and procedures and important paperwork for you to read and sign. Depending on your role, there may also be e-learning module to complete. You will also have a site-specific induction on your first day to get you familiar with the building and different team procedures.

What support will I get? 

As well as the training provided, all volunteers are given a named supervisor to ask questions or share concerns. No matter which role you choose to take, you will always be supported.

Do you reimburse travel expenses? 

Yes, The Passage reimburses travel expenses in cash or via bank transfer to and from your shift according to our Finance Policy. You must provide with evidence of your travel.  

Where do your volunteering opportunities take place? 

The Passage operates from five key buildings. The location of your volunteering will depend on the role you take.

Resource Centre and office based roles : St Vincent’s Centre, Carlisle Place, Victoria London, SW1P 1NL 

Roles at Newman Street: 1 Berners Mews, Fitzrovia, London, W1T 3AJ  

Roles at Montfort House and Bentley House: 22 King’s Scholars’ Passage, SW1P 1RN

Roles at Passage House:  1-5 Longmoore Street, London, SW1V 1JH.

Why do you ask for two references on the application form? 

The Passage adheres to a policy of confidentiality that applies to all the services we deliver and the people delivering them. We ask for two references to verify you are who you say you are and because we need to know that we can trust you to respect the confidentiality of The Passage and the people who access our services at all times. Referees can be friends but must not be family members and must have known you for 6 months or more.   In order to speed up your entry into volunteering at The Passage, we advise you to tell your chosen referees to keep an eye out for our email and reply promptly.   

I have a disability – can I volunteer? 

Our volunteering opportunities are available to everyone, and we will make reasonable adjustments to roles where possible. However please be aware that for some roles this is not possible given the nature of the tasks involved.

If you wish to discuss this further please get in touch.

I am former client – can I volunteer? 

Former clients who have used our services can apply to volunteer provided they have not used our services for a consecutive period of at least 6 months.

I am an EU National – can I volunteer?

If you are an EU National, you can volunteer in the UK provided you have settled or pre-settled status or a visa that allows you to volunteer. Please check your visa if this applies. Under a Standard UK Visitor visa, you can volunteer for up to 30 days with a registered charity. Most volunteering opportunities at The Passage are not stand alone one, off opportunities so it may not be possible to volunteer with us during your visit. Please contact us if you need advice about this.

I am an asylum seeker – can I volunteer?

If you have applied for refugee status or humanitarian protection (asylum seekers) in the UK, you can volunteer. You can still volunteer if you are appealing against a decision to refuse asylum.

Do I need a DBS check to volunteer at The Passage? 

Most volunteering roles do not require a DBS check. However, there are some roles that will require one. This will be clearly stated on the role description. If you already have a DBS check it will only be valid at The Passage if you have signed up to the ‘Update Service’ and what type of check you already have. Please speak to us about this and we can confirm whether we will be able to use your existing check or not.  

I am visiting London – can I volunteer whilst I am here? 

All volunteers are required to attend an induction and an ongoing commitment, volunteering at The Passage. Therefore, our volunteering opportunities are not suitable for short term visits of under 3 months. 

If you need a Visa to enter the UK, most allow some level of volunteering. However, please be aware that The Passage is not a sponsorship organisation and we will not sponsor your Visa or provide accommodation for you.  If you are visiting for a period of 3 months or more and/or you are unsure about whether you can volunteer under your Visa please get in touch.

Can I bring a friend or child along with me when I volunteer? 

No, this is not possible due to our health and safety requirements. All of our volunteers are required to be referenced and attend a volunteering induction which covers important information about our policies and procedures.  Furthermore, all volunteers must be aged over 18 years old. 

I am a volunteer at The Passage. Can you provide me with a reference?

Yes, we can provide a written reference to volunteers who have been with us for three months or more, up to two years from your last volunteering date.