This role is based in The Passage Resource Centre we offer hot breakfast and lunch, laundry facilities, clothing and a range of community and support services, including:
Prevention and Partnerships Team – deliver advice and make resettlement plans for people experiencing and at risk of experiencing homelessness in Westminster. We provide help and advice to appeal unlawful evictions and resolve tenancy disputes and we source long term, sustainable housing in the private rented sector.
No Night Out – rapid interventions with temporary hotel accommodation for people that are at risk of sleeping rough. This gives clients a safe and welcoming space to stay while we explore sustainable ways to resolve their housing situation and provide needed ongoing support.
Health and Outreach services – coordinate direct support for people with multiple needs on the streets and help them to successfully engage with and navigate the complexity of health and treatment structures.
Employment Team – focus on skills development and career opportunities to support the people we work with to achieve their ambitions.
Advice and Advocacy Service – develop partnerships, practice, and policy to support those with benefit and immigration issues and survivors of Modern Day Slavery and trafficking.
Location: St Vincent’s Centre, Carlisle Place, Victoria, London, SW1P 1NL
Commitment: once a fortnight or month.
Time: 9.00am – 12.00pm or 1.00pm – 3.30pm
Day: any weekday (no weekend option for this role)
- Applicants must be 18 years old or over
- We will ask for personal references
About this volunteer role
Here at The Passage, treating people with dignity is paramount. Low self esteem is common amongst people using our services, in part due to not being able to maintain an appearance they would like.
We’ve seen the effect getting haircut has and we are seeking a volunteer who can cut and style men and women’s Afro Hair. We have more male clients. We have gowns and barbacide but you will need to use your own cutting equipment.
We are committed to creating a safe, non – judgmental space for everyone here at The Passage, regardless of who they are and there is an expectation that volunteers understand this and behave accordingly towards people using our services, other volunteers, visitors and members of staff.
You’ll ask each individual what they would like done and provide a professional service.
- Putting clients at ease
- Clipper cuts with blending in; scissors where preferred
- Beards, moustache, eyebrow , ear /nose hair trims
- Aged 18 or over – essential
- Has own current Public Liability insurance policy – essential
- Skilled in cutting and styling afro hair
- Has own cutting and styling equipment
- Confident communicator and able to listen client preferences
- Reliability, good time keeping
How we will support you
As a volunteer you will benefit from:
- Support from our friendly and welcoming Health & Wellbeing Team
- Induction and training including introduction to homelessness, personal & professional boundaries and equality, diversity & inclusion
- Learning more about homelessness and the challenges faced by people using our services
- Flexibility of shift times and a wide variety of roles
- Travel expenses reimbursed
Take a look at our Volunteering FAQ’s
Alternatively, you can contact us via email or phone 07843 342220 ( 10am – 4.30pm, Mon – Fri)