Location: The Passage Resource Centre, Carlisle Place, Victoria. London, SW1P 1NL
When: the exact time of the session is flexible, dependent on when you are available. It does need to be a weekday between the hours of either 9am – 12 noon or 1pm – 3pm
- Applicants must be 18 years old or over
- We will ask for personal references
About this volunteer role
This role sits in our Employment Strategy team and is supervised by Group Facilitator who creates groups for people using our services that will provide them with either life skills, or skills that will increase their employability. We have access to some funded places on a bike mechanic courses and we would like to provide people with a space to practice and use those skills.
We are committed to creating a safe, non – judgmental space for everyone here at The Passage, regardless of who they are and there is an expectation that volunteers understand this and behave accordingly towards people using our services, other volunteers, visitors and members of staff.
- Adjusting brakes, gears, frames, forks, handlebars
- Inspecting tyres for damage, and how to check correct pressure
- How to fix a puncture
- Aged 18 or over – essential
- Knowledge and skills about maintaining and fixing bicycles
- Ability to create a plan of lesson content
- Ability to facilitate a teaching session and structure a class
- Ability to demonstrate an inclusive and non-judgmental attitude
- Patience, and ability to engage with a range of different people
- Ability to uphold and respect The Passage policies and procedures
- Respectful and empowering attitude
How we will support you
Volunteers are essential to The Passage and our success. Our team of volunteers add tremendous value to our services from serving food and driving to providing complementary therapies and facilitating English conversation classes.
All volunteers benefit from:
- Induction and training including introduction to homelessness, personal & professional boundaries and equality, diversity & inclusion
- Learning more about homelessness and the challenges faced by people using our services
- Flexibility of shift times and a wide variety of roles
- Travel expenses reimbursed
Please refer to our Volunteering FAQs
Alternatively, please get in touch via email or phone at 07843 342220 (phone line open from 10am – 4.30pm on weekdays).