Help us collect food and clothing donations in London.
Location: Vehicles are collected from Victoria and trips are within London
Commitment: regular and ad hoc options
- Applicants must be 21 years old or over
- You need to have had a driving license for at least 1 year
- We will ask for personal references
About this volunteer role
Our Volunteer Drivers collect food donations from across London that we use in our kitchen. These collections are on weekdays, usually between 9am – 12.00pm and take around 2.5 hrs. We also receive donations of clothing and food from our various corporate supporters in London, particularly from September – mid January.
On a more ad hoc basis, Volunteer Drivers also help us to move clients into new accommodation and transport equipment we use for fundraising events like our Garden Party and Comedy Night.
We are committed to creating a safe, non – judgmental space for everyone here at The Passage, regardless of who they are and there is an expectation that volunteers understand this and behave accordingly towards people using our services, other volunteers, visitors and members of staff.
- Drivers book a van using our business Zipcar account
- Driving a van around London to collect food from regular donors
- Unloading donations at The Passage
- Supporting client moves by moving their belongings and furniture when they find accommodation
- Be aged 21 or over – this is the minimum age to hire a Zipcar vehicle
- Have held a driving license for at least 1 year
- Confident and competent driver
How we will support you
Volunteers are essential to The Passage and our success. Our team of volunteers add tremendous value to our services from serving food and driving to providing complementary therapies and facilitating English conversation classes.
All volunteers benefit from:
- Induction and training including introduction to homelessness, personal & professional boundaries and equality, diversity & inclusion
- Learning more about homelessness and the challenges faced by people using our services
- Flexibility of shift times and a wide variety of roles
- Travel expenses reimbursed
For questions about the role or the application process, please read our Volunteering FAQs.
Alternatively, please get in touch via email or phone at 07843 342220 (phone line open from 10am – 4.30pm on weekdays).