Home for Good is a volunteer-powered, London-wide befriending project. Our volunteers provide bespoke support to individuals who have been housed but who are experiencing social isolation. The purpose of the service is to empower people to establish connections and thrive in what will often be a new community for them. If you want to make a lasting difference to someone’s life then this is an opportunity for you.
Location: The borough where you live or work
Commitment: Once a week/fortnight for 1-2 hours. Days and times are flexible. As this a befriending project, it requires a minimum of a 6 month commitment
- Applicants must be 18 years old or over
- We will ask for personal references
About this volunteer role
You will be matched with an individual who has been housed with the aim of assisting them to get to know their local area and link into local community services.
- Providing reliable, regular and sustained contact
- Encouraging the achievement of personal goals
- Participating in activities of interest to the client and empowering them to continue independently
- Participating in ongoing training
- You’re compassionate, kind and non-judgemental
- You’re committed and reliable
- You’re patient and able to motivate and engage others
- You’re able to maintain and respect The Passage policies and procedures
- You have a genuine commitment to working to empower clients with complex and multiple issues
- You have excellent communication and listening skills
- You have the confidence to work independently in the community with support from the Home for Good Team
- Flexibility on where you could meet, including central London, is desirable.
How we will support you
Volunteers are essential to The Passage and our success. Our team of volunteers add tremendous value to our services from serving food and driving to providing complementary therapies and facilitating English conversation classes.
All volunteers benefit from:
- Induction and training including introduction to homelessness, personal & professional boundaries and equality, diversity & inclusion
- Learning more about homelessness and the challenges faced by people using our services
- Flexibility of shift times and a wide variety of roles
- Travel expenses reimbursed
Please contact the Home for Good team via email.