Kitchen Support Volunteers will help either chef with all aspects of food preparation, washing up and helping to maintain the kitchen as a hygienic and safe food preparation area. You may be serving hot food to clients so there will be some interaction with people staying at Passage House.
Location: Passage House, 1-5 Longmoore Street, London, SW1V 1JH
Commitment: Weekday, Saturday or Sunday, 4.30 – 6.30pm
- Applicants must be 18 years old or over
- We will ask for personal references
About this volunteer role
Passage House is a rapid-response facility. The 37 bed project provides high-quality support to new rough sleepers aged 18 or over who have no local connection to Westminster.
We provide a safe and welcoming place to stay for up to 28 days whilst we work with each individual to find a route off the street. In addition to finding sustainable accommodation, we provide catering, support around mental and physical health, drug and alcohol misuse, life skills, volunteering and employment opportunities, and well-being activities, such as art, mindfulness and acupuncture.
We have two chefs, one for weekday and one for the weekend who prepare a hot evening meal and breakfast bags for the following morning. The evening meal is served between 5.15 – 6.45pm and the volunteer shift time is 4.30 – 6.30pm. Volunteers choose their shifts via an online rota so you can choose shifts that work for you.
We are committed to creating a safe, non – judgmental space for everyone here at The Passage, regardless of who they are and there is an expectation that volunteers understand this and behave accordingly towards people using our services, other volunteers, visitors and members of staff.
- Helping the chef to prepare food bags for evening meals and breakfast bags for the next day
- Observing hygiene and health and safety standards, including washing up and clean as you go
- Providing a friendly face to any residents you come into contact with during your shift
- Escalating any safeguarding issues or concerns to a member of staff as soon as they arise
- Aged 18 or over – essential
- Able to lift and carry large service dishes
- Ability to lift dishwasher trays in and out of the machine
- Commitment and understanding of the importance of providing a reliable service and following our absence reporting procedure
- Ability to work within required Health and Safety and Food Hygiene procedures
- Wear personal protective equipment
- Willing to undertake a Basic Food Hygiene course
- Adaptable, ability to do what needs need doing and switch between duties
- A positive and cheery approach to customer service and able demonstrate an inclusive and non-judgemental attitude towards clients, volunteers and staff
How we will support you
As a volunteer you will benefit from:
- Train in you in Level One Food Safety and Hygiene
- First day kitchen induction
- Supervision by Chef
- Induction and training including introduction to homelessness, personal & professional boundaries and equality, diversity & inclusion
- Learning more about homelessness and the challenges faced by people using our services
- Flexibility of shift times and a wide variety of roles
- Travel expenses reimbursed
Take a look at our Volunteering FAQ’s
Alternatively, you can contact us via email or phone 07843 342220 ( 10am – 4.30pm, Mon – Fri)