On an ad hoc bas. Each appointment likely to be 1-3 hours
About this Role
Along with another volunteer or member of staff, you will visit a client in their home to help with any DIY tasks they need support with.
What will I be doing?
- DIY tasks might include:
- Putting up shelves
- Fitting curtains/blinds
- Building furniture
- Painting/decorating (with the permission of the Landlord)
- Help with sourcing furniture (at the client’s expense).
- You are not expected to clean or carry out any electrical or plumbing work or remove any large unwanted items (e.g. broken furniture or white goods) from the property. These are the responsibility of the tenant and landlord.
What skills do I need?
- What would be expected for this role:
- A practical approach, with experience of and skills in DIY
- A basic understanding of the issues faced by people who have experienced homelessness
- A warm, empathetic and non-judgemental approach to engaging with others
- Ability to maintain and respect The Passage’s policies and procedures, including boundaries
- A reliable and punctual attitude
- A DBS check is required for this role which will be conducted by The Passage
- A good level of physical fitness; we would not recommend this role for those experiencing musculoskeletal or related issues
- Willingness to travel – our clients are London-wide
- A face mask will need to be worn at all times and social distancing adhered to (PPE provided)
What you can expect:
- Full support from the Home for Good team
- Training on Manual Handling, Boundaries/Confidentiality and Slips, Trips and Falls
- Provision of all materials, tools and equipment needed
- Reimbursement for travel
The role is subject to the provision of two references, an informal interview and attendance at a Volunteer Induction session. For questions about the role or the application process, please contact the Home for Good Team on 07568 430020 or [email protected]
Volunteer Registration Form
- Applicants must be 18 years old or over
- We will ask for personal referees