Passage House Assessment Centre (PHAC) is a 37 bed rapid response Assessment Hub aimed to support new rough sleepers with no local connection to the borough, to find a suitable pathway for them to sustain a life off the streets. The hostel is open to men, women, couples aged 18 or over. The maximum stay is 28 days.
Location: Passage House, 1-5 Longmoore Street, London, SW1V 1JH
Commitment: once a week or fortnight. Shifts are either 8am – 1pm, 1pm – 6pm or 6pm – 10pm, Monday – Sunday
- Applicants must be 18 years old or over
- We will ask for personal references
About this volunteer role
If you enjoy talking to a variety of people, this could be the volunteer role for you. You will be the welcoming face for residents who are staying at Passage House. You’ll need to be professional but friendly.
We are committed to creating a safe, non – judgmental space for everyone here at The Passage, regardless of who they are and there is an expectation that volunteers understand this and behave accordingly towards people using our services, other volunteers, visitors and members of staff.
- Answering telephone calls, transferring calls, and taking messages
- Answering the door and welcoming residents and visitors
- Taking the time to engage with residents in a friendly and welcoming manner
- Compassionate, kind and non-judgemental
- Computer literate
- Friendly and welcoming
- Calm under pressure
- Committed and reliable
- Ability to listen and follow procedures
How we will support you
Volunteers are essential to The Passage and our success. Our team of volunteers add tremendous value to our services from serving food and driving to providing complementary therapies and facilitating English conversation classes.
All volunteers benefit from:
- Induction and training including introduction to homelessness, personal & professional boundaries and equality, diversity & inclusion
- Learning more about homelessness and the challenges faced by people using our services
- Flexibility of shift times and a wide variety of roles
- Travel expenses reimbursed
Take a look at our Volunteering FAQ’s
Alternatively, you can contact us via email or phone 07843 342220 ( 10am – 4.30pm, Mon – Fri)