Shift commitment: - one day a week, fortnight or month.
Montfort House provides medium term accommodation for rough sleepers in the form of 16 self-contained studio flats. The project is aimed at vulnerable long term rough sleepers who have complex histories and haven’t been able to maintain temporary accommodation elsewhere. Support is client led and our project workers adopt a highly personalised approach.
About this Role
We are seeking volunteers to engage with our clients in meaningful activities and to provide some structure during their time there. Often clients just want someone to talk to over a cup of tea. Staff are very open to an ideas you may have for running activities for clients. This could be anything form from reading and discussing newspapers, to creative writing, a book club, yoga, really any skill that you can share.
This role would be particularly suited to someone wanting to gain experience of working in the homelessness sector as it is a client facing role.
Tasks will include:
- Run activity for between 5-20 clients
- Providing a safe environment in our reception / communal enabling residents to participate
- Writing up daily record sheets detailing interactions with clients
- Setting up the session: putting out food and making cups of tea
- Possibly accompanying clients to shops for refreshments for the session
- Aged 18 or over – essential
- Patience and ability to engage with others
- Ability to demonstrate an inclusive and non judgmental attitude
- Reliability and willingness to commit to regular shifts
- Ability to uphold and respect The Passage policies and procedures
What you can expect:
- Volunteer induction and in the role training
- Supervision from Montfort House Project Worker
- Free meal if you volunteer for five hours or contribution to lunch costs
- Travel expenses reimbursed according with our Finance Policy
Complete the application and Equality and Diversity monitoring forms and email to [email protected] The role is subject to the provision of two references, an informal interview and attendance at a Volunteer Induction session. For questions about the role or the application process, please contact the Volunteering Team on 0207 592 1863
Please download an application form. Email completed forms to [email protected] or post printed forms to St Vincent's Centre, Carlisle Place, London SW1P 1NL