Warm Welcome Volunteers support our Resettlement Team to help new and existing clients feel comfortable and familiar with our services.
Location: The Passage Resource Centre, St Vincent’s Centre, Carlisle Place, Victoria, London, SW1P 1NL
Commitment: A weekday, either 9am – 12 OR 1pm – 3.30 or option to do the whole day 9.00am – 3.30pm
- Applicants must be 18 years old or over
- We will ask for personal references
About this volunteer role
The Resettlement Team is based in our Resource Centre in Victoria and is responsible for establishing the needs of our clients via an initial assessment and then signposting into our internal services which include, welfare rights, immigration legal advice, supporting victims of modern day slavery, physical, mental health and wellbeing, housing and employment. We also provide showers, meals, clothing and a laundry service. The Resource Centre is open from 9am – 3.30pm every weekday and our services are focused over two sessions 9am – 12pm and 1pm – 3.30pm. We are not open on weekends.
As a Warm Welcome Volunteer, you will be performing a pivotal role in helping new clients to navigate our building and services and creating a warm and friendly atmosphere.
We are committed to creating a safe, non – judgmental space for everyone here at The Passage, regardless of who they are and there is an expectation that volunteers understand this and behave accordingly towards people using our services, other volunteers, visitors and members of staff.
Based in our Resource Centre in Victoria, this is a varied, hands on, practical role that’s perfect if you like using/learning new skills as no two shifts are the same. We are seeking volunteers who are comfortable switching between different duties depending on what needs doing on a particular day. If you’re good at observing and able to see what needs doing then this role would suit you. You might put on a load of laundry for our clients , then give a tour of the Resource Centre to a new client who has just arrived, followed by a game of table tennis. If you are seeking experience in the homelessness sector this role would be suited to you.
- Giving tours and essential information to new clients, pointing out things like meal times, shower’s, activity timetable as well ass essential health and safety information like fire exits, A checklist will be provided
- Washing and drying clothing for clients
- Helping clients find clothing in our clothing store
- Helping to unpack and put away clothing donations
- Aged 18 or over – essential
- Interested in volunteering with adults with a variety of support needs
- Flexible attitude towards duties, does what needs doing
- Confident nature, ability to approach people and talk to them
- Patient and able to motivate and engage others
- Non judgmental attitude
- Committed, reliable and punctual
- Ability to uphold and respect The Passage policies and procedures
How we will support you
As a volunteer you will benefit from:
- Supervsion from our Assesment & Advice Team
- A varied role
- Induction and training including introduction to homelessness, personal & professional boundaries and equality, diversity & inclusion
- Learning more about homelessness and the challenges faced by people using our services
- Flexibility of shift times and a wide variety of roles
- Travel expenses reimbursed
Take a look at our Volunteering FAQ’s
Alternatively, you can contact us via email or phone 07843 342220 ( 10am – 4.30pm, Mon – Fri)