About this Role
The Rough Sleepers Team is responsible for establishing the needs of our clients via an initial assessment and then signposting into our internal services which are, welfare rights, destitution and immigration, mental and physical health housing and employment. We also provide showers, food, clothing and laundry services. The centre is open from 9am – 4pm every weekday and our services are focused over three sessions, 9am – 11am, 11.30am - 1.30pm and 2pm – 4pm. The third session has an employment focus and initial assessment for new clients will not be conducted. This to allow for the space to be cleaned between each session as part of our commitment to minimizing the risk of Covid 19. We are also capping the number of clients to 35 during any two hour session in order that we can operate social distancing.
As a Warm Welcome Volunteer, you will be performing a pivotal role in helping new clients to navigate our building and services and creating a warm and friendly atmosphere. We are seeking 2 volunteers on every weekday. No weekend shifts at present.
What will I be doing?
- Advising clients on the social distancing procedures
- Showing new clients where dining room, showers, toilets etc are
- Informing clients of services accessible during each session
- Making up individual shower packs (towel shampoo etc)
- Supported by staff, helping to monitor our showers (max 2 people at a time)
- Sourcing clothing form our clothing store for clients who request items
- Helping staff to launder items if clients request this service
What skills do I need?
- Ability to be flexible and work as part of a team
- A non-judgmental and empathetic approach to our clients
- Polite but assertive - volunteers need to be able to say 'no' when necessary
- Calm and level headed under pressure
- Able to work within professional boundaries
- Confident in an environment which might present challenging behaviors
- You’re interested in volunteering with adults with a variety of support needs
- You’re able to maintain and respect The Passage policies and procedures
What you can expect:
- A full induction and training for your role
- Support and supervision to help you carry out your role
- Travel reimbursed in line with our Finance Policy
The role is subject to the provision of two references, an informal interview and attendance at a Volunteer Induction session. For questions about the role or the application process, please contact the Volunteering Team on 0207 592 1863
- Applicants must be 18 years old or over
- We will ask for personal referees